Friday, July 08, 2011

New Wave Covers For Oldies Lovers - Part 2

As I wrote in PART ONE, "During the upheaval of the late '70s/early '80s punk days, there was a real changing-of-the-guard feeling that led many groups of the time to cover classic oldies from the sacred rock 'n' roll canon in an irreverent (if not downright disrespectful) fashion. One of my recent obsessions is to to collect as many of these as I can find..." And why not? It's fun, weekend/summer barbeque music for maniacs. There's even a surf music section.

New Wave Covers For Oldies Lovers, vol2

1. The Toy Dolls - Blue Suede Shoes
2. The Minutemen - Ain't Talkin' Bout Love

3
. Lene Lovich - I think we're alone now [Japanese version]
4. The Plastics - Last train to Clarksvi
lle
5. Yellow Magic Orchestra - Tighten Up [These guys, featuring Ruichi Sakam
oto, actually reunited to perform (at the Hollywood Bowl) for the first time in 30 years; hope they performed this one, it is absolutely bonkers]
6. Zoogz Rift - But The Picture Has A Mustache ["Inna Gadda Davida"]
7. The Fibonaccis - Purple Haze

8. Black Randy & The Metrosquad - Say It Loud (I'm Black And I'm Proud)
9. James Chance & The Contortions - I Can't Stand Myself
10. Devo - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

11. Sun Yuma - Subterranean Homesick Blues
12. Comateens - Summer in the City
13. Bakersfield Boogie Boys - I Get Around

14. Nash the Slash - Dead Man's Curve
15. Zoogz Rift - Walk Don't Run
16. C. Newman & Janet Smith - California Girls
17. Lemon Kittens - Shakin' All Over
18. Pere Ubu - Pushin Too Hard

19. Butthole Surfers - American Woman

20. The Better Beatles - Paperback Writer

21. The Flying Lizards - Money (That's What I Want)
22. Gina X - Drive My Car

23. Sex Pistols - My Way

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ballad of the Green Berets" by Elvis Hitler or the Dead Kennedys?

Windy

Mr Fab said...

Good choices, thanks, I'll have to track those down. Yep, I think there might be enough for a vol. III.