Friday, May 20, 2005

PROZAK FOR LOVERS

It's been exactly 25 years (give or take a day or two) since Ian Curtis of Joy Division took his own life. Joy Division carried on as New Order of course, and recorded their own share of classics, but who knows how much more powerful they would have been had Curtis stayed in the band. Joy Division was a big part of my punk-rock boyhood, so let's raise a glass and salute Ian Curtis as we listen to his biggest hit...er, well, a loungey bossa nova version of his biggest hit performed by

Prozak For Lovers: "Love Will Tear Us Apart"


Since the French group Nouvelle Vague's bossa nova takes on punk classics have been so popular around here lately, let's check out this American combo who did the same thing several years before, but who didn't garner nearly as much attention. Prozac For Lovers' self-titled self-released album, available thru CDBaby.com, features chilled remakes of hippy rockers like "Don't Fear The Reaper" and "Proud Mary" mixed with punk chestnuts like:
"London Calling"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I like this better than Nouvelle Vague. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, Mr. Fab. I may actually spend money on this.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I concur. (sip) Quite good, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Didn't think I'd like this - I also was weened on punk heroes like Mr Curtis and crew. guess I'm an old softy now...

Chrissy said...

that whole prozac for lovers album is great